I woke up at 4am wondering why Rylee hadn't cried yet. I went to her crib and heard a small snore; she was still sleeping! I snuggled back in bed until she signaled for me at 6am. I never slept much anyway so the lack of sleep that comes with being a new parent, isn't something I really complain about. Unless, of course, you told me I didn't look so good. Then, I might tell you to stick a sock dirty diaper in it.
Having a baby is actually good training for being productive. You have no choice. You love this little human more than you can possibly describe to anyone. So, you'll roll out of bed 30 times if you have to. You'll forget to brush your teeth (not all the time). You'll call your cousin the wrong name. You'll ask someone what day it is three hundred times until it's the next day and it doesn't matter anyway. Through all this, you keep plugging along. You smile and coo and cuddle that little human. She doesn't know that sometimes you sleep on the toilet just for a few minutes of shut eye.
So...when the glorious day comes...the day every parent brags about....the day she sleeps through the night....you feel like someone injected caffeine into your big momma veins.
This is the day, that I conquer the world. Am I president yet?
Today, I read a brilliant poem by Leigh Stein.
The Bachelorette, Season 8, Episode 5
EPISODE 5
I know I sound like I'm on my death bed, but
I don't want them to think that I'm not having fun.
Good girls are hard to come by.
Isn't that cool?
I want a guy that doesn't take himself too seriously.
I, myself, am taking this very seriously.
Please enjoy your short imprisonment.
You kind of learn what they're into and
then maybe you'll get into it.
The good part is: you kiss his lips
and some poison is left to kill your own self.
May the best Romeo win.
I think loving someone is giving yourself completely
to them, giving them an eternal kind of love.
I really like my kisses with Sean.
Sean is totally my prisoner of love tonight.
It's all or nothing: that's kind of the theme of this
whole endeavor. Fuck my life, man.
I want something that lasts forever
and that I'm so sure of.
If you have the balls to say "fuck my life, man" in poem, I'll adore you. If you have the talent to pull it off, I'll want to be your friend. If you have killer couplets (and some poison is left to kill your own self./ May the best Romeo win.) that lead up to it, I'll want to be your best friend.
Leigh Stein, will you be my best friend? Check YES or NO. Actually, don't check yes or no. Who made up that game anyway? If I am rejected it is forever on paper. Maybe we could string two cups together. You could tell me yay or nay. If it's nay, I'll drop my cup or give it to someone I don't like to drink out of. Yep, much better than paper.
*
I'm typing really loudly now and this coffeeshop's mascot, a big winged fly has now landed on my shoulder. I suppose he is asking me to leave.
As my father, the sailor used to say...
Bye for now,
A
No comments:
Post a Comment